Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Focus For Black History Month 2012

  

 Carter G. Woodson, founder of Black History Month

Carter G. Woodson--African American Trailblazers



Carter G. Woodson Tribute



Today is the beginning of Black History Month.  This will be my third year in honoring blacks for their achievements over the past 400+ years blacks have lived in America.  I will be featuring periodic posts of  various black people who have made remarkable achievements in the history of our nation.  This year I'm planning on featuring posts of very successful black businessman.  Tomorrow I'm going to be featuring J. Bruce Llewellyn, who died at age 82 in 2010.  Llewellyn was a trailblazer for black businessmen in America.  He was the nation's richest black American with a personal wealth estimated at times to exceed $160 million, according to The New York Times.  I will post the link along with the post tomorrow.  He's worth reading about. 

There will be other black businessmen that I will be recognizing throughout the month of February.  I feel that it's important that we honor those that have been successful in the realm of business, esp. given the condition of our current economy.  We need some business role models in this country--black, white, Hispanic, Asian, etc.  My hope is that by featuring posts of successful black businessmen it will encourage other black people to work hard and start businesses of their own.  We need to encourage others to pursue the American Dream.  There's so much blackballing today of businesses by both the media and our political elite.  Sadly, some of it is justified, esp. the multinational corporations.    However, not every successful business that has grown large has done so illegally.  There are some businesses that have grown over the years did so legitimately.  You can grow a business and not be crooked in doing so. 

Other posts that I will be featuring, Lord willing, will be some black gospel or negro spirituals.  There are some black musicians in the realm of Gospel that have superb musical talent.  If I find some that I consider worth posting I will do so.  There will probably be some other subjects in black history I will be featuring this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment