Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mitt Romney Will Not Impose Mormonism on the United States if Elected President

Mitt Romney's Mormon "Faith" an Issue Again



Mitt Romney and Mormonism



Within the last several years there have been growing concerns amongst evangelicals over the possibility of a Mitt Romney presidency.  Romney, the former Massachusetts Governor, is a Mormon.  Romney is once again seeking the GOP nomination for the presidency of the United States this year.  Romney ran for the office of the presidency for the very first time in 2008 but lost to eventual nominee John McCain.  Many evangelicals worry what a Romney president would entail.  If Romney were to be elected president, he would be the first Mormon ever to occupy the oval office.  Romney's daddy, the late George Romney was a former Michigan Governor from 1963-69 and ran for the GOP nomination in 1968.  Romney's religion was no issue in 1968.  He didn't progress very far in the GOP primary that year.  The probable reason for his not faring well in the polls that year was his "brainwashing" comment he gave on television about his trip to Vietnam when being interviewed by Detroit television host Lou Gordon. 

There are many evangelicals who rightly criticize Mormonism as being a cult.  Texas Governor Rick Perry's pastor made the comment that Mormonism is a religion and he took some flack for that.  To be very candid with you, Mormonism is a cult.  It's inspiration doesn't lie in the sacred King James Bible.  Instead they have their own canon of scripture called, "The Book of Mormon."  The founder of Mormonism was Joseph Smith.  The Mormon church is also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  They have practiced polygamy, the practice of being married to more than one wife at a time.  There are some notable Mormons in the government and the media such as former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman and GBTV host Glenn Beck.  Jim Sumpter, who isn't a well-known talk show host but is a syndicated radio talk show host, is also Mormon.  I for one am opposed to the religion of Mormonism. 

I'm going to make a statement that will sound shocking to some conservatives, but this is where I stand on the issue.  I'm going to make a very dogmatic statement.  I don't believe if elected president Mitt Romney will impose or coerce Americans to accept Mormonism in this country.  I don't believe that Romney will make America a Mormon country.  I believe that's the least of our worries.  I know the title of this post sounds very dogmatic, but this is where I stand.  I'm not liberal in my thinking.  I am a conservative thinker.  I try to be realistic in my thinking.  From what I've witnessed concerning the American culture within the last 50 years, the trend has been toward the secularization of our country.  There aren't any forces out there trying to establish a church-state entity like it was so common in Europe from centuries past.  Instead, we've seen forces from the ACLU, Americans for the Separation of Church and State, People for the American Way, and other organizations working to expunge any mention of Christianity and Jesus Christ from the public arena.  So, I'm not concerned about Romney trying to transform America into a Mormon country.  I don't see Romney pushing Mormonism down the throats of the American people any more than John F. Kennedy tried to impose Catholicism upon the American people when he was president from 1961-63.  Kennedy was the very first president ever to enter the oval office as a Roman Catholic.  Many Americans were worried that he would receive orders from the Pope or would push the mandate of the Catholic Church upon the American people.  Kennedy never did that.  Nor do I believe Romney will coerce Americans to become Mormons.  Romney's Mormonism is the least of our concern.  I'm not saying this to endorse Romney for president.  I won't vote for Romney in the primary because I don't trust him.  He's flip-flopped on issues such as abortion, for example, and he passed a state-run health care which is a miniature version of Obamacare. 

What we should be concerned about is knowingly voting for a Muslim to the highest office.  Even though I can't prove it, it wouldn't surprise me if Obama is a closet Muslim.  He had a Muslim background when he lived in Indonesia during his youth.  Also, he's been very sympathetic to Islam as well which makes me wonder.  Regardless, I think it would be dangerous having a Muslim as president, esp. if he were a believer in jihad.  I've heard radio talk show host Bill Cunningham mention on Sunday night a number of times that he would rather have a conservative Muslim as president than a liberal Catholic such as John Kerry.  The question I have to ask is how do you define a conservative Muslim?  Would a conservative Muslim support Sharia Law being implemented in the United States?  There's a good possibility.  Since 9/11 the government along with the Muslim organization CAIR (Council of American Islamic Relations) has tried to brainwash the American people and make them think Islam is a peaceful religion.  The government is trying to force the American people to be tolerant and accept Islam.  I believe in the future it will become a federal crime to speak out against Muslims or Islam.  I see that coming.  If we're going to be fearful of a particular religion to be forced upon America someday, we should be fearful of Islam--not Mormonism.

No comments:

Post a Comment