Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dottie Rambo: The Gifted Songwriter of the Twentieth Century (Part 10)

He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need



In the Valley He Restoreth My Soul



The Story Behind the Song "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need"



The Story Behind the Song "In the Valley He Restoreth My Soul"



He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need

Sometime after Reba joined her mother and father in the group entitled, "The Singing Rambos", they decided to attend the National Quartet Convention in Memphis, Tennessee.  At the time they only sang in churches.  That was soon to change as they were asked to sing before the crowd at the convention.  It was the first time they had ever done so.  The song they sang was "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need."  It was a brand new song at the time.

The story behind this great Irish tune, "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need" has a very touching message behind it.  Dottie had received a call that her brother, Eddie Lutrell had cancer and the doctors didn't expect him to live very long.  She had just begun to write this song but didn't get much completed.  Former Louisiana governor Jimmie Davis had asked Dottie to write a song to the tune of "Danny Boy", an Irish national anthem.  However, she didn't have the words to compose the song.  As I just mentioned, Dottie was informed that Eddie was sick.  So when Dottie finished work for the day, she visited Eddie in the hospital and witnessed to him about Jesus.  Eddie had at the time had five children with his girlfriend whom he told his family that was his wife.  Dottie knew that wasn't so.  So she encouraged Eddie to marry his girlfriend so he could give his children a name.  So Dottie arranged to have the ceremony at the hospital.  Eddie was so sick that they had to put his gown over his head.  They weren't able to place his clothes upon him.  The ceremony was finally performed and after Eddie and his new bride said "I do", Dottie couldn't control herself.  She wept. 

Even though Eddie finally wed the woman who bore him five children, the battle still wasn't over.  Eddie wasn't saved.  Dottie was concerned with his soul.  Dottie pleaded and begged him to accept Jesus into his heart.  Eddie told her that he had been too mean.  He had been in and out of jail and was involved with drugs, etc.  Dottie explained to him that Jesus came to save that which was lost.  She was explaining to him about the 99 sheep and how Jesus searched for that one lost sheep.  Consequently, it seemed all efforts to save him were hopeless.  So finally one day she founds the words to begin that famous song that would be the all-time famous song that Dottie wrote:

Amazing Grace Shall Always be My Song of Praise
For it was grace that taught my heart to fear. 
I do not know just why he came to love me so.
He looked beyond my fault and saw my need.

Chorus:

I shall forever lift mine eyes to Calvary
To view the rugged cross where Jesus died for me.
How marvelous the grace that caught my falling soul.
He looked beyond my fault and saw my need.

Dottie had finally found the inspiration to write that song.  She set the words to the tune of the Irish anthem "Danny Boy."  It was sometime later that she felt impressed by the Holy Spirit that Eddie was okay.  One day after work she went to see Eddie and told her that he asked Jesus to come into his heart.  Dottie was thrilled.  At his funeral she sang the song "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need.

In the Valley He Restoreth My Soul

Like the song I just mentioned, this song also revolved around Dottie's brother, Eddie Lutrell.  At Dottie's homegoing funeral, which I posted, Pastor Emeritus L. H. Hardwick Jr. was testifying of Dottie writing this particular song.  He was mentioning about remembering when Buck and Dottie wrere singing in a group called the Gospel Echoes.  He was talking about Dottie's brother Eddie who was sick and they were concerned about Eddie's Soul.  One day Pastor Hardwick went with Buck and Dottie to the hospital in Lebanon, Ohio to see Eddie.  He was very sick.  It was during the evening as they were driving back that Pastor Hardwick and Buck were sitting up front reminiscing about the visit they had with Eddie.  Dottie was in the back seat.  All of a sudden she started reciting the words to this new song. 

When I'm low in spirit I cry Lord lift me up
I want to go higher with thee.
But nothing grows high on a mountain
So he picked out a valley for me.
And he leads me beside still waters
Somewhere in the valley below.
And he draws me aside to be tested and tried.
But in the valley he restoreth my soul.

It's dark as a dungeon and the sun seldom shines
And I question Lord why must this be.
Then he tells me there's strength in my sorrow
And there's victory in trials for me.
Then he leads me beside still waters
Somewhere in the valley below
And he draws me aside to be tested and tried.
But in the valley he restoreth my soul.

This will be the last post on Dottie Rambo: The Gifted Songwriter of the Twentieth Century until I receive the book I ordered from Amazon entitled, The Legacy of Buck and Dottie Rambo.  The information in this book will fill me in with needed details in certain spots.

1 comment:

  1. There is a story just like this behind every song Dottie wrote. We used to spend hours and hours talking about the stories - some are just as touching as the one about Eddie. She always wanted to write "The Story Behind The Song" but, sadly, her health would not allow her to complete it. Not a single song Dottie wrote was written without her having LIVED the pain, the joy, the heartbreak or the great miracles of God that filled her life. I lived with her for a year, taking care of her 24/7 and was so very blessed to hear these stories many times. Often, watching her endure hour after hour of the hellish pain she suffered was the most difficult thing I'd ever witnessed, but she NEVER gave up. The Holy Spirit was guiding her every step, no matter how her life may have appeared to the rest of the world. She never lost her faith in God. These life experiences are what made her the greatest songwriter of the century.

    ReplyDelete